About the position
Campfire Labs is a content marketing agency that helps brands like Dropbox, Asana and Stripe tell stories that inspire. We’re a mission-driven company that puts people first, and we donate 50% of our profits to climate action.
We're currently looking for experienced writers to work with us. If you're interested, here's a little more about what we're looking for!
- Write content for our clients, including blog posts, thought leadership articles, ebooks, and case studies
- Revise content based on feedback from internal editors and client stakeholders
- Schedule and conduct interviews with subject matter experts (SMEs) as needed, including clients, customers of clients, and external sources
- Acquire a working knowledge about our clients, their products or services, and the audience(s) their content is written for
There are also opportunities for our freelance team members to grow into full-time Staff Writers, if they wish. That said, we're open to working with folks with different availability. If you have no interest in going full-time, that's fine! But if you'd be open to exploring it in the future, as we continue to grow, that'd be great, too.
What we’re looking for:
- Freelancing experience: This isn't your first rodeo: you've freelanced before (or done something similar), and have the long-form writing and organizational skills to prove it.
- B2B, SaaS, and marketing experience: Nearly all of our customers are in these fields. Having written for one or more of these areas in the past will help you get up to speed much faster.
- Narrative non-fiction experience: We're looking for writers who know how to tell a good story and have the samples to prove it. Many of our writers tend to have a background in journalism.
- Interviewing experience: You’re comfortable independently conducting interviews to drive your writing. You know how to draft questions that will give you the information you need, and how to structure stories around the answers.
- Openness to feedback: You’ve worked closely with an editor in the past, and understand how feedback makes your writing better.
- Excellent organization: You can independently manage multiple writing projects at once. You should have some familiarity with project management software (we use ClickUp).
- Timely communication: You respond to emails quickly and know how to provide the written context needed to move a project along. (Note: This doesn't mean we expect you to always be available or online. We're just looking for writers who don't drop the ball on email communication).
- Kindness: Our team is built around a shared value of kindness: to each other, to our clients, and to the rest of the world at large. We look for this value in everyone we work with.
How to apply:
Click "Apply For this Job" and fill out the form on the next page to apply. We only need your application, writing samples, and answers to the questions listed—no cover letter or long forms required.
With regards to your writing samples, we’re looking for two things primarily:
- Examples of relevant B2B, SaaS, or marketing work that you've written.
- Evidence that you know how to tell a good story.
This series of stories we produced for Clearbit is a good example of the type of work we are looking for. Please don't include any samples that start with a question (e.g. "Are you looking to grow your business?") This is an example of a writing style we commonly disqualify.
Feel free to also include a portfolio, if you have one, but the specific examples will make it easier for us to review your application.
Our team values passion, kindness, and curiosity over titles or formal accolades. So if you’re on the fence about applying—especially because you think you lack all the qualifications—please go for it.
Please note that we review applications on a rolling basis, and you may not hear from us for a few weeks after submitting your information.
We’re excited to hear from you!
Story-driven content marketing for the world's best B2B brands.