Senior Technical Support Engineer
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We're looking for a Technical Support Engineer to help us make CockroachDB easy for our customers and open source users.
Candidate will need to be based in the Pacific timezone, and will work remotely. Possible location options include California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon, Washington State, PST parts of Idaho, or Vancouver, Canada.
- Provide extraordinary service for both our open source users and Enterprise customers across our various support channels: chat, forum, Github, and phone
- Provide guidance on work assignments to more junior team members
- Resolve complex issues through relationships with other teams, executives, and/or customers
- Engage with more junior members of the team to help them grow their skills
- Develop deep technical expertise in CRDB and accompanying technologies
- Recognize patterns among user issues, and suggest ways to improve our product and offerings
- Partner with our Documentation, Product, Sales, and Engineering teams to guide those improvements
- Help develop and iterate on our support processes and systems
In your first 30 days, you will have completed onboarding, and have developed enough expertise to begin assisting users directly. During this time, you will familiarize yourself with CockroachDB, our customers, and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be fully integrated into the team. You'll be able to manage most issues from customers, and will be able to contribute to improving the scope and quality of our offerings.
As our team and your expertise grow, you’ll begin mentoring and training new members of the team, developing and updating training and documentation to ensure that knowledge is not lost.
- A passion for working with users directly and know how to adjust the tone and content of a message, so it's well received
- A natural knack for collaboratively crafting solutions with users and colleagues
- A willingness and desire to contribute to diverse or cross-organizational collaborations
- An ability to influence teams’ direction and roadmap and impact teams’ goals and objectives
- Excitement about working with a growing list of Enterprise customers, and can provide the polish expected by Fortune 500 companies
- A take charge attitude where you can anticipate issues and ensure resolution to technical issues that come your way
- Familiarity with, or are willing to learn about, the various technologies that make web-scale applications function
- Experience creating order out of chaos, and are excited to tackle the unique challenges of teams face in their early stages
- The ability to absorb information. You love getting into the weeds technically, but don't let that distract you from achieving your end goals
- You are a systems thinker and critical thinker, with experience solving problems at their root cause
- 5-8 years of experience working in technical support at a software company
Reporting to Rupert Harwood - Technical Support Manager
A British ex-pat raised in Southern California living in San Francisco with his wife and two senior cats. He is very passionate about customer support and adores well written documentation. He has spent the last 10 years working and specializing in distributed and cloud databases and believes that is the future of the industry. When not working he spends time tinkering with PC hardware, reading and playing tabletop games such as Dungeons and Dragons, and playing video games. Rupert likes to offset his sedentary indoor activities by hiking along the coast, inline skating, and walking around the city (San Francisco) listening to music and photographing street art.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $100,000 to $155,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, unlimited PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database.