Electric is the industry leader in providing world-class IT technology and real-time support for small and mid-sized businesses. With over 1,000 customers and more than 50,000 employee end-users, Electric’s IT platform includes real-time support powered by 200+ IT technicians, security, device & inventory management, network & server management, application & cloud management, employee on-boarding, and off-boarding, procurement & provisioning, and data monitoring & insights. Electric is a Series D company funded by an all-star team of investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, GGV Capital, 01 Advisors, Primary Venture Partners, Bowery Capital, Slack, Atreides Management, Vintage Investment Partners, and Greenspring Associates.
Electric now has over 500 employees and is led by a seasoned executive team. Our company is a fun, fast-paced environment with enormous opportunities for career advancement. We are seeking highly motivated, detail-oriented go-getters who want to move up in a tech startup.
As Engineering Manager for our Core Backend Team, you will oversee a remote team of engineers composed of full-time employees and contractors. You will be a leading voice in designing and improving our software, partnering closely with our architects and other engineering teams to refine ideas, translate the “what” into the “how”, and execute on the plan you develop together. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will ensure our success and help us deliver valuable services that are also reliable, scalable, and of high quality.
Your engineering team will enjoy your guidance and learn from your experience. Your peer leaders will be empowered by your technical confidence and clarity of vision. You’ll have the opportunity to make a profound impact on the success of our company.
You are empathetic, candid, empowering and inspiring. You are a balanced leader, utilizing your listening skills and your clear communication to enable engineers to do the best job they can, and to learn something new with every outcome they deliver.
What You'll Do
- Establish a focus on owning problems and outcomes rather than solutions and outputs
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Lead a team of engineers by setting expectations and goals, providing guidance and actionable feedback
- Supporting your team’s growth and career development goals through active mentorship, coaching, and performance management
- Own, commit, and drive accountability for your team’s roadmap and milestones
- Work as an integral part of the leadership team of your group, deciding how the team functions as a whole
- Align with the rest of the engineering management team and implement effective engineering processes and policies
- Anticipate, identify and clear roadblocks for the team; provide clear direction and effective decision making where necessary
- Represent the team to product & engineering groups, both internally and externally
Our Tech Stack...
- … is constantly evolving, but here are some highlights:
- AWS infrastructure (Lambda, ECS, RDS, DynamoDB)
- Postgres and DynamoDB as primary data stores
- SNS/SQS for our messaging queues and topics
- Data warehouses in Snowflake
- GraphQL for querying APIs and serving relevant data
- Python for our backend services
- React/Redux for our frontend applications
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science / Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering management role with multiple direct reports.
- Clear and compelling verbal and communication skills to audiences with differing levels of technical fluency
- Ability to weigh several and often conflicting constraints and make rapid decisions in a fast-moving and quickly-growing company
- Experience leading inclusive teams and empowering people to do the best work of their careers
- Knowledge of microservice architectures and patterns
- Driven by results and outcomes, not inputs and outputs
- Seek to fully understand a problem before jumping into its solutions
- Most importantly: You are thirsty, curious, not afraid to fail, and believe that nothing is impossible.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users.
Electric, in good faith, believes that the posted salary range is accurate for this role Nationally at the time of posting. Electric may pay more or less than the posted range based on factors such as relevant experience and skills, qualifications and location, among others. This range may be modified in the future. Details and eligibility will be discussed during the application process.
As an organization, we believe in pay transparency and have chosen to abide by NY state, CO and CA pay transparency laws across all roles, regardless of location of hire, and post salaries for all positions eligible for full time hire on our website.
The salary range for this position at Electric:
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to revolutionize IT by making it simple, effortless, & lightning-fast for businesses everywhere.